Thursday, May 7, 2009

Blogging for Karma, Software Toys

I'm checking out blogger as a possibility for blogging. I put up a quick website at http://www.goodkarmasoftware.com with iWeb, and it's stunning how bad that software is. Perhaps it's much better for people with .mac hosted pages, but if not, it's a disaster.

I need something to support a whole (simple) site (e.g. multiple pages, not just a blog) but the main content will be the ongoing blog.

So I'll look into blogger here, and perhaps Wordpress as well. I just want something very simple that allows me to keep track of and share some notes on the software development process as I get back into the world of game design, or perhaps more appropriate to my interests -- the development and design of "software toys".

What's the difference? More on that later.

I've spent a number of years writing software from my earliest jobs at Texas Instruments, to game development at Origin Systems, Electronic Arts, The Logic Factory, and Microsoft. I currently do scientific software at the Center for Computational Life Sciences and Biology, as well as other freelance work.

I've recently become interested in development for iPhone (yeah yeah), which is interesting to me for the simple reason that it feels like a "coming full circle" to me. I started programming as a 5th grader with an early Apple II, and quickly wanted to write and design games. In those days, and for many years afterwords, a single programmer could write and design a game and hope to do well in the commercial market. As the industry matured and went from hobbyist enthusiasm and diversity to mainstream adoption and homogeneity, the solo game programmer had a hard time competing. Now the iPhone -- back to a simple small platform where once again the creative individual can do some cool stuff and get noticed. Hurray!

No comments:

Post a Comment